« Life with my children | Main | Halo Kitty »

November 17, 2008

Trek Gets Cool?

Wow. Who would have guessed that Star Trek could look this cool?

Posted by lynx at November 17, 2008 9:21 PM

Comments

I'm hooked. :) I remember hearing about the new movie a while back, and I felt a distinct lack of interest, but I'm feeling like I could sit through that.

Posted by: KathyJo at November 18, 2008 11:36 AM

I'm still skeptical, but then, I'm a purist. Barring disease/alien influence, Young Spock retreats into logic to be more Vulcan than Vulcans. The trailer shows anything but that.

Also, they've fallen into the Star Wars trap. Space is busy, fast and crowded (with lots of explosions). One of the nice things about space pre-Star Wars was that is was still a frontier. You were exploring and didn't have fleets of ships to help you out if you ran into trouble.

Few people really appreciate Forbidden Planet, 2001 or the first Alien movie.

There are days I think George Lucas should be taken out and shot.

(I'm still going, though, it's coming out around my birthday :))

Posted by: Mark L [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 18, 2008 1:42 PM

Well, you know where we stand. We appreciate the first Alien movie, and 2001. (You know? I don't think I've seen Forbidden Planet.)

There are days I think George Lucas should be taken out and shot.

And I can see that they may well be doing terrible violence to the Star Trek universe. But ... it looks cool ;-)

Posted by: Stephanie at November 18, 2008 3:14 PM

Okay, tell Jeff he must go rent Forbidden Planet for you. Soon. This weekend soon :)

It's probably one of the best science fiction movies out there. It has held up very very well over time. Mostly because it had, well, a plot. It's based loosely on "The Tempest", so you will enjoy it. If the boys can sit through 2001, they will really like it.

Posted by: Mark L [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 18, 2008 5:03 PM

I appreciate the first Alien movie, 2001, and I definitely think George Lucas should be taken out and shot. :) Light sabers are reason enough. They make horrid toys because toddlers can't grip the right end, so they walk around clubbing their brothers with the handles.

Posted by: KathyJo at November 22, 2008 11:22 PM

If I only had a dime for every time I've heard this ....

Child: Waaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!

Me: What? Why are you crying?

Child: (Brother) hurt me!!!!!!!!!!!

Me: What were you doing?

Child: We were playing lightsaber battle!

Me: Well ... duh.

But you know, if it wasn't lightsabers, it would be something else. Midiclorians, though ... that's all Lucas' fault.

Posted by: Stephanie at November 23, 2008 12:04 AM