« Week 2 - This Is Too Easy | Main | A Day in the Life »

August 27, 2008

That's no flower ...

I love to garden. I always, always garden using organic methods.

The problem is that I don't like BUGS. I don't like surprises like this:

"Hmmm ... I think I see an interesting white flower in my tomato jungle. How weird - there shouldn't be any white flowers there! I wonder what it is? I'd better go in for a closer look at the little flower ... AAHHHH!!!"

Tomato Hornworm Caterpillar - Death comes via wasps

I guess this is our science lesson for the day, except that I can't get Connor out to look at it. Wimp.

(Psst - Angie! You're right - they're carpenter bees. Thanks!)

Posted by lynx at August 27, 2008 3:37 PM

Comments

We had one of those on a tomato plant. Stuff of nightmares, I tell you. =:O

Posted by: Drew at August 27, 2008 5:08 PM

Ugh! Ugh! Warn us with your blog post title! Ugh! Now what am I going to make instead or rice for lunch tomorrow?

Posted by: Rose (dragons in the flower bed) at August 27, 2008 6:48 PM

Braconid wasps. Beneficial in the larval stage. Ernie loves seeing these in the garden since they kill those nasty hornworms. I appreciate the work they do, but man, seeing that grosses me out even more than the hornworms do.

Posted by: KathyJo at August 27, 2008 10:32 PM

This is the kind of example I use whenever my kids encounter the fluffy bunny attitude toward nature. Nature is NOT fluffy and kind. Nature is brutal.

Posted by: Stephanie at August 28, 2008 8:19 AM

OK, now THAT is a cool photo! I've heard of those parasitic wasps but never actually seen them in action. (Tell me you plan to put the thing in a jar with some leaves and watch them hatch. Please?) Nature may indeed be brutal, but it is beautiful and amazing.

Posted by: premenopaws at August 28, 2008 2:33 PM

Hi,
I found your site through Dy at Classic Adventures and have enjoyed it. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? I grew up in Fauquier county and my parents were both police officers in Prince William County. You were at Manassas Battlefield, I grew up going there. My husband and I now live in Shenandoah County but get to Manassas quite a bit. We have season tickets to the Redskins so we pass through there every home game. ha ha

Posted by: Bridget at September 6, 2008 10:13 PM

Intrigued by your photo of the critters on your tomato plant, I was surprised to see the same thing here today - http://fibermania.blogspot.com/
hope this is helpful.