« Our Internal Clocks Are Out Partying. | Main | Science »

August 24, 2007

We've Created a Monster

More than one, likely.

Tonight we watched the first two episodes of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." We've never watched this series, but at this point I'm willing to watch anything Joss Whedon has done. Heck, I'm willing to watch dramatizations of the notes Joss Whedon passed in junior high. We were not disappointed. I am told the series gets way better than the first season would have us believe, but we enjoyed these first two episodes. Our two oldest kids watched with us. I suppose that in many homes "Buffy" is not standard fare for the under-12 set, but, well, it is here.

The thing is, see, that several months ago we introduced our kids to Mystery Science Theater 3000. And they loved it. Which means that anything they watch is now instantly ... what's the verb here? I'm going to go with "MST3Ked." If you've never seen MST3K, it's basically a human and a couple of robot characters who watch really bad movies and make funny/sarcastic comments throughout said movie. So now every time we watch anything, Connor does a running commentary. Which would be annoying, except that I think he has a gift. He's good at this! He's funny! What have we unleashed on the unsuspecting world?

Posted by lynx at August 24, 2007 9:43 PM

Comments

He and Aidan have both done the commentary for some time now to some degree. They had me cracking up with their commentary on Lego Star Wars.

So how much MST3K do you have? I was pricing some of the DVD collections a few months ago and they seemed much more expensive than when I purchased the couple I own a few years ago. I was talking to a friend the other day, mentioning that if they released every episode of the show I would happily buy them all.

Posted by: Brian at August 26, 2007 8:58 PM

welcome back. my kids watch all sorts of "questionable"stuff and read books that has my mom mortified....so I wouldn't worry about Buffy.

you can netflix MST3K...I love netflix...

Posted by: e at August 27, 2007 11:25 PM

Cool. Just FYI - some of the later seasons have episodes that deal with some really mature things, like rough sex (that's season 5, I think). For us adults, it's completely character- and plot-driven, but I don't know that the kids would see that.

Posted by: Sarah at August 28, 2007 3:25 PM

Brian, we don't own any. We Netflix them. By the way, do you happen to know which episode has the "Honey Bunches of Death" joke in the opener?

Sarah, thanks for the heads up! I'll have to see if I can find some kind of synposis site, just to make sure.

Posted by: Stephanie at August 30, 2007 9:41 PM

I'm pretty sure the episode you're thinking of is "The Phantom Planet" (#902).

My favorite lines in that episode were: when the space ships that looked remarkably like Honey Bunches of Oats were flying through space into battle, Crow said: "Here they come!" and Tom Servo said: "Prepare the milk!" LOL :o)

(Big MST3K fan, here.)

Posted by: RegularMom at September 1, 2007 10:56 PM

We love Buffy. My oldest is now 8 and he used to watch them with me when the season was on air. He loves anything that has to do with vampires. However, I do believe that it is Season 6 titles Smashed when they have their sexual encounter that you may want to see with out the kids. But you can always go to /www.buffyguide.com/episodes.shtml and it gives you a few sentence about the episode, from each season. HTH

Posted by: lilmagickalme at September 7, 2007 11:29 AM