« Overheard In My Car | Main | Overheard And Out Of Context »

October 21, 2006

Things My Kids Will Never Forgive

I didn't realize, until just now, what I have done. I imagine Aidan will remember this for the rest of his life, and never forgive me.

Aidan is getting braces. I scheduled the appointment for ...

do you believe this? ...

Oct. 30.

Do I break it to him now? Or wait for him to figure it out?

Posted by lynx at October 21, 2006 10:07 AM

Comments

Oh my gosh! You cannot keep this appointment :-) But if you do, you have to tell this website about it - http://www.realbadmommies.com/ This one takes the cake :-) - it is borderline the cruelest, evilest, funniest thing I have have ever heard contemplated by a mom...I can't decide if I should plead with you to give this child ONE MORE Halloween with carmel and chewy taffy and chocolate bars with all sorts of nuts and chew goodness before you do this to him or call you an evil genius who will always have a great story to tell at family gatherings.

Posted by: Deanna at October 21, 2006 11:49 AM

How could you?

Tell me you are going to reschedule the appointment and not ruin Aidan's Halloween.

Not that I would know, but isn't eight pretty young for braces? Are you not supposed to wait for all the baby teeth to fall out, or have Aidan's already done so? Just curious...

Posted by: Brian Medcalf at October 21, 2006 11:16 PM

Aidan takes after me in all things. In this case, that means his jaw isn't growing right.

All he'll really have is braces on the front four teeth. Then he'll have a removable appliance to wear. We're trying to encourage the lower jaw to grow, while it's still in a growing phase. If it works, he won't have to have surgery later, like I did.

But with only four braces on the front, and a removable appliance, don't you think he'll still be able to scarf down candy? I think it's too late to change the appointment, as they're putting the spacers in this Monday.

If not, to help him feel better, maybe I can make it a family tradition for everyone to get their braces right before Halloween.

Posted by: Stephanie at October 22, 2006 12:31 AM

Ohhhhh, this was a good one. The list of things mine will never forgive me for is pretty long, but I don't have anything truly stellar like this. :-) Maybe buy a bag of pre-approved candy he'll enjoy and then you can do a swap w/ him for all the off-limits stuff in his bag? ~Dy

Posted by: Dy at October 22, 2006 2:38 AM

Oh, I'm sure he will figure out a way to scarf down some candy! And you can pass it off as a cool accessory for his Halloween costume! Maybe not, the kid's way too smart for that one to work, but you could try.

And I so remember after your surgery what fun we had with you! ;-) So, if you can spare Aidan that now, you are being a very good mommy!

Posted by: Kellie at October 22, 2006 7:35 AM

Michelle's appointment for her braces is Friday the 27th. She is begging us to change it, but (I think) she is starting to resign herself to it.

See, you aren't the only bad parent.....

Posted by: Mark L [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 22, 2006 9:49 AM

You know that I normally adore you to pieces, and think you are an absolutely wonderful Mommy, and can't even IMAGINE getting done one TENTH of what you do..... but honestly, hon, this one is just *horrid*. It's not just that he won't be able to eat the Halloween candy, but his little teeth will be HURTING whilst others are eating the Halloween candy. Please, please, please change the appointment!

My Wonderful Husband had braces for four years of our marriage, and after each tightening, etc., his painful mouth was all, well, painful. You know, because guys have NO pain tolerance. I would change the appointment! Because the lack of candy is one insult, but the mouth pain will be insult upon insult....

Posted by: Jo's Boys at October 22, 2006 1:04 PM

I was eigt or nine when I got my braces. My parents were evil...right after getting my braces on they took me to lunch at THE SIZZLER ! How cruel. I remember eating cream of potato soup as they munched on steak.

Posted by: Jewels at October 22, 2006 1:09 PM

In 2004, my son was eight and had his braces put on two days before Halloween. He was still allowed to eat plain m&m's, which he likes. I bought a bag or two of m&m packets and after maiking the rounds we traded every "illegal" candy for a packet of m&m's.

One house had a lady who had some spider rings for kids who didn't like her candy option. She let Gonzo take ten rings, much to his delight.

If ou move it, how much gace period will you allow? How much candy scarfin' time before the deed?

And make sure he eats his fill of Cub Scout popcorn.

Posted by: Heidi at October 22, 2006 5:15 PM

If you move it, how much grace period will you allow? How much candy scarfin' time before the deed?

And make sure he eats his fill of Cub Scout popcorn.

Posted by: Heidi at October 22, 2006 5:17 PM

Um, you people are making a big deal out of nothing. If the kid needs his teeth/jaw fixed, then it needs to be done. Stop making Steph feel so terrible!

Also, when I had my braces, I would just suck on the candies that were caramely instead of chewing them. And really, if you brush your teeth really well, you can still have the sticky stuff. They just say you shouldn't because most kids don't brush much at all. And I never had any of my braces pop off either, even after eating gooey candies.

Posted by: Jennifer S. at October 22, 2006 6:37 PM

You know, I remember eating pretty much anything I wanted to as well, except for gum, and maybe the gooier caramels.

I *don't* feel bad, not really. And certainly no on here is making me feel bad. I mean, I do feel sorry for him about the timing, but, well, life is like that. He'll handle it. So will Michelle.

I had full sets of braces twice, and three surgeries on my jaw. Aidan is getting the good end of the deal. Maybe I'll offer to grind some of his candy up into a milkshake.

Posted by: Stephanie at October 22, 2006 8:57 PM

I was just going to suggest ice cream. A trip to DQ while the other kids are scarfing down candy. And donuts. Stock up on some good chocolate-covered cake donuts. It's not candy, but I doubt he'll complain.

Posted by: angie at October 22, 2006 10:30 PM

Heh. Before we go Trick or Treating this year, I have to dump the candy left over from last year out of the plastic pumpkins. :) They love the costumes, and they love going around the neighborhood collecting candy. And they love the candy, but they know it ALWAYS comes with limitations and rules around here, even at Halloween. I have horrible teeth, and I'm super careful about sweets just in case any of the boys inherited the bad teeth gene from me instead of the teeth like rocks gene from their father.

It's a shame we don't get to choose: Okay, you're getting daddy's teeth, and mama's nose; mama's eyesight, and daddy's drawing ability; and...

Posted by: KathyJo at October 23, 2006 1:39 AM

A candy milkshake? Tell Aidan that this just became a kitchen experiment. :)

Posted by: Mark L [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 23, 2006 7:59 AM

Mark, better that than a pizza milkshake. Really. See what I'm saving him from?

Posted by: Stephanie at October 23, 2006 9:17 AM

If the four brackets are being placed on the front teeth he should have no problem with his Halloween candy.
My older son has been through a pallet expansion and has had his braces for over a year now. He pretty much eats anything he likes, including the sticky candy. Only thing is, if it gets stuck on his bracket he knows not to pull or pry the candy off.

Happy Halloween to Aiden. He'll be fine!

Crissy