« And by the way ... | Main | Who Knew? »

July 15, 2006

Don't Eat the Chicken

Another, um, benefit to driving through Arkansas is the number of chicken farms we pass. The great majority of the ones we see provide chicken to Tyson, and, presumably, raise the chickens to Tyson's specifications.

Let me tell you, those chicken farms stink. They rival the stench of the paper mill in Ashdown. They are truly horrible, disgusting, stinky places to pass on the road.

We passed one or two Pilgrim's Pride chicken farms as well. They did not stink. We were very close to an independent chicken farm, which used the same type of chicken houses. It did not stink.

If you could smell what we have smelled, you would never touch Tyson chicken again. I know it's cheap, but trust me, you can do better. Check with your local farmers and buy some nice, local, free-range chicken. It costs a little more, but your body will thank you, and so will the people driving those highways in Arkansas.

Posted by lynx at July 15, 2006 11:16 AM

Comments

I know what you mean about the Tyson chickens....I haven't had a Tyson chicken for over a year. I really like Sanderson Farms--no additives etc.

Posted by: Jewels at July 15, 2006 12:13 PM

'Free Range' is one of the biggest ripoffs in the food industry.

Straight Dope

Oakly Chicken Plantation

United Poultry Concerns

Chicken houses do stink.

Posted by: Butch Howard at July 15, 2006 10:49 PM

Nah. When I say local, I mean local ... as in I can drive to the farm to see the chickens running around for myself. Maybe it doesn't really mean anything that the chickens run around outside, but I sure feel better about not eating something that I know came out of a big stinky house that is so foul-smelling (no pun intended) it makes you retch for hundreds of feet up and down the highway. Blech. No, I'd even buy the Pilgrim's Pride first. They use the same huge crowded houses, but whatever they do doesn't stink.

Posted by: MamaLynx [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 15, 2006 11:00 PM

I won't buy Tyson chicken anyway. EVERY single time I've been in a hurry and in our local Winco instead of one of the better stores, and just because I WAS in a hurry and I have purchased Tyson chicken, it's been spoiled. I'm talking disgusting nasty yucky horrible spoiled. Cures me of the urge to eat chicken for months. On the other hand, Tyson is one of the only brands whose packaging does not leak. Give me a sopping Foster Farms chicken instead, please.

Posted by: Ami at July 17, 2006 9:11 AM

There's a reason cheap food is cheap...

Posted by: Becky the organic (chicken) farmer at July 19, 2006 2:07 PM

To the people who won't eat Tyson chicken. I think you are ridiculus. My grandparents are Tyson chicken farmers and have been for over 20 years. I myself have worked in the farm with them. Tyson chicken is the only brand I WILL eat. I know what goes in the chicken and I have also been to the factory where the chicken is processed. The smell that comes from the chicken farm is only when the houses are being cleaned. I have tried other brands of chicken and have been very dissapointed in them. Nothing tastes better than Tyson chicken. To the one who drove past the houses and say they stink, did you know that hog houses look the same? It's probably the hog house you smelt. Since my grandparents have added renovations to the houses the smell has gone down considerably. Have you ever been to northern California and drove past the hundreds of thousands of cattle. The smell is horrible, but I still eat beef. Animals smell, it's their nature. Besides, Pilgrims Pride has never been better than Tyson. Oh, the reason you got spoiled chicken would not be because of Tyson. That would be because you bought your food at a crappy store. I will forever eat Tyson chicken because I know the ends and outs of what goes in the chicken. I am a very picky eater and nothing is better than Tyson.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 9, 2006 1:50 PM

Whoever write this terribly researched "thing" just to let you know I do not grow for TYSON, nor do I have any affiliation with them. If you knew ANYTHING AT ALL about the chicken business like I do, you would know that it doesnt matter on the company. It depends on what type of houses they are. The ones that probaly didnt stink are Breeders or Pullets. The broiler houses stink worse...not because of the growers or the copany but because of the feed that they consume. Thanks for you ingnorance!

Posted by: Kathy at February 24, 2007 11:06 PM

I have purchased Tyson chicken from Sam's a few times and if the "all natural" Tyson chicken breasts are healthier than others I can not say for sure. All I can say is among all the chicken I've eaten I have never had a chicken breast taste more unappetizing. I don't season my chicken and every time I buy the Tyson it tastes very chemically. I don't think I will buy it again.

Posted by: Sonya Ridgway at December 26, 2007 7:43 PM