« Ironically | Main | Tally an Ace! »

June 16, 2006

The Bird Who Lived

Yes, we got another bird. We actually brought it home a scant 24 hours after the first one died. I was afraid to mention it earlier, though, in case, you know, it died too.

It has survived nearly a month. Jeff wanted to name it Canary Potter, the Bird Who Lived. But Connor chose Dread Pirate Birdie. (My son, though gifted in many areas, has never been one for creative naming. For evidence I offer you his stuffed raccoon, which he named "Raccoony.")

We just call him Birdie. It seems to fit him more than "Pirate."

We even took the bird to the vet, which is ... well, look, we don't even take the cats to the vet. We took the bird to the bird vet. We brought the bird vet little samples of bird poop, to see if it looked good. The bird seems fine, and we are not, apparently, serial bird killers. Yet.

They never tell you, when you become a parent, just how much of the rest of your life will revolve around poop. Kid poop, cat poop, bird poop. Everyone poops, indeed.

Posted by lynx at June 16, 2006 9:37 AM

Comments

Dumb bird story--

My Dad is a huge Yankees fan, and when we got a cockatiel he was named after Yankees slugger Reggie Jackson. About 10 years later, I got a call from my parents that "Reggie went to the angels." I thought they were speaking euphemistically that the bird had died. No, it was even worse than that. Reggie Jackson had been traded to the California Angels.

Posted by: Daryl Cobranchi at June 16, 2006 10:24 AM

I love the names. We have the same issue here. Our two dearly departed frogs were named Jumpy and Mummy Man.

Yes, yes. Lots of poop. The amazing thing is how I don't even flinch about it anymore. There is no difference between cleaning up poop and, say, a spilled bowl of cereal on my gross out radar. That's kind of sad really.

Posted by: Amy at June 16, 2006 12:27 PM

I love those names! I'm more likely to name something "Racoony" myself. My three year old son's already better at naming his imaginary dogs than I am at naming anything. :P

Posted by: silvermine at June 16, 2006 1:30 PM

We've always had fun with names for our pets, so much so that our families all heaved huge sighs of relief that our children ended up with such normal names. We've done historical names, Egyptian gods, literary figures, etc. Our parakeets were Boris and Natasha. Our dog was Brynhilde from a Norse/Germanic myth. The last time we owned cats, we were in a historical phase and we almost adopted a stray that we felt was a perfect Chairman Mao. Unfortunately, he took an instant dislike to Ghengis Kitty and William the Bastard and left. William the Bastard was definitely the most awkward name we ever chose. He'd only answer to the latter portion of his name which got me plenty of strange and/or offended looks from the neighbors when I'd stand outside and call him. :)

Posted by: KathyJo at June 16, 2006 11:44 PM

My kids name their stuffed animals "Dolphiny," "Turtley," and so on. My black car they call "Blacky." So much for creative names!

Posted by: Kelly at June 17, 2006 8:10 PM