« Why does this even need to be said? | Main | Semi-what? »

March 24, 2006

Stress

I've been remarkably calm about this whole moving thing. Have you noticed? Remarkably calm.

The calm is fading. Stress level is rising. And rising.

We leave in less than two weeks, folks. Two weeks, and I can't finagle all the playdates my kids want. Two weeks, and I don't know how to help them transition away from their friends (and why do I feel the need to? I don't remember my parents worrying about how or whether or not I said good-bye).

Almost everything is packed. Half the furniture is actually in the garage. The furniture and the lion's share of the boxes leave in a week. We leave a few days after that.

The house is not yet on the market, for various and frustrating reasons. No, it's not even ready to be put on the market yet.

And oh, by the way, we do have hail damage to our roof, even though a roofer told us we did not after the last hail storm. So now we may have to replace the roof before selling. And our move date is in less than two weeks. Did I mention that? And the washing machine broke today.

Stress.

Posted by lynx at March 24, 2006 9:20 PM

Comments

I would say don't sweat it, but like that's going to help. Do you think any of the boys' friends have parents who would come help for a playdate? (I know, cheesy, but desparate times call for desperate measures.)

I'm pullin for ya!
Dy

Posted by: Dy at March 25, 2006 7:26 AM

breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. you are doing great. you are almost packed! the rest will happen even if it is a bit chaotic. have a drink, that always helps me :-)

Posted by: sozzled at March 25, 2006 2:21 PM

I agree with Dy. The last few weeks before our big moved were filled with playdates, and tons of moms helping me pack at the same time. And they were glad to do it, my kids got to say goodbye to all their friends, and it helped alleviate the stress. I had a kitchen party with several moms helping (and their kids playing), and I had a few one on one playdates, one of them resulted in the kids' rooms being finished, and the other resulted in china being wrapped.

Hang in there. One day at a time...you'll get through it ((()))

Posted by: Deanna at March 25, 2006 10:06 PM

When we bought our current house, the inspector found roof damage. The seller refused to fix it, but instead just agreed to take $X off the agreed on price, which was the estimated cost of roof repairs. Saved them the hassle of doing it, and we wanted the house so it seemed fair to us.

Posted by: angie at March 26, 2006 9:15 AM

I'd suggest taking a large sheet of paper and making a chronological list backwards from the day of your move to today. Write down the things that absolutely NEED to be done. You might write things like 'put stuff in bedroom in boxes', and 'load the truck'. You know, things like that. Really important things.

If there's any room left in any of the days, you can write in some not so important things. Like 'clean oven'. See? That's not really important. Nice. But not critical. Whereas having to move your undies in piles because they were not in boxes, is a problem.

About the kids - call every mother you know and ask if you can drop off the kids for a couple hours. Don't worry about being rude. Either you'll never see these people again, or else they're real friends and glad to help out. Another option is to have people come over with their kids - while the kids play, you and the other parents pack. Packing other people's stuff is always less tedious than doing your own packing.

Especially when it's undies.

Posted by: hornblower at March 26, 2006 10:44 AM

Sending you calming vibes (only because I can't send you a washing machine) : )

Posted by: Becky at March 26, 2006 3:45 PM