« Aiiiiiiii! My eyes! | Main | Shhhhh. »

February 3, 2006

Serenity of the Caribbean?

In the comments on that last "Firefly" post, Butch (is that the Butch?) mused about the similarities between Captain Jack and Captain Mal. They have a similar code of honor. For both of them, their ships symbolize freedom, and their only means to live life on their own terms.

Fun. This kind of comparison needs research. DVDs and rum at my place.

Posted by lynx at February 3, 2006 10:23 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Serenity of the Caribbean?:

» links for 2006-02-05 from O'DonnellWeb
One-Sixteenth: Serenity of the Caribbean? Captain Jack and Captain Mal are kindred souls? Very interesting thought. (tags: tv movies... [Read More]

Tracked on February 4, 2006 10:18 PM

Comments

jingcai!

I'll bring the Ng Gaa Pei for afterwords.

(the Butch? I am to me, not sure if I am to you.)

Posted by: Butch Howard at February 4, 2006 10:36 AM

Are you the Butch who posts on the homeschooling boards, usually as just "Butch"? The one who unschools and lives on a farm?

Posted by: MamaLynx [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 5, 2006 11:03 PM

No, that's not me.

Posted by: Butch Howard at February 6, 2006 9:45 AM

Funny that I was thinking about that this morning except in the way of differences and what Jack might have to say about how Mal runs his ship. Now granted, I am probably more familiar with Jack's way of running a ship than I am Mal's considering I have only seen one or two episodes and the movie 2-3 times...but it is an interesting question. I dont think Jack would tolerate half the "insubordination" that is part of Mal's ship, but then Mal would probably be deemed more a merchant ship than a military one...and Jack had mixed feelings about the discipline on those. But of course, he would recognize that the purposes between the two are completely different things entirely.

Posted by: Sharon Ferguson at February 9, 2006 1:01 PM