« Paper Crafts from Canon | Main | The Cake »

September 30, 2005

Changing the Sig Line

'Cause I don't have a four-year-old any more. My only PM baby, Griffin officially turned five 14 minutes ago.

We celebrated by letting him pick dinner (pizza) and activities (videos). Tomorrow we'll have his pirate party, complete with a pirate ship cake. It's half decorated, waiting in the freezer for sails, treasure, and pirates.

Tell me, how would you go about making a pirate ship cake? Would you read the directions carefully, mark of the dimensions on the cake and measure before you cut? Or would you ... ah ... look at the picture on the internet and hack away confidently? Did you know that if you end up with four pieces of cake at different heights, you can, eventually, make them look all the same if you use enough frosting?

There's going to be some kids on sugar highs here tomorrow, yes siree.

(Conversation heard earlier at our house: "No, Griffin, you don't want to make a cake entirely out of frosting. It would taste good, but after you ate a little bit of it you'd feel sick. Trust me, I know what that's like.")

Stay tuned to see how ambitious I get with the sails and rigging.

Griffin was my earliest baby (just barely 37 weeks) and my smallest baby (8 pounds, 7 ounces). We had planned a homebirth with him but my body (or his body) had other ideas. My blood pressure got dangerously high so we nipped into the hospital for an induction. We were lucky enough to have a great OB who not only gave us excellent medical care without unnecessary interventions, but treated us with respect and listened to what we had to say. In fact, Griffin's birth restored my faith in OBs. (That faith was originally shattered when I had Connor.)

Today he's a big, sweet, stubborn, dinosaur-loving boy, who uses his brain to figure out the world around him in the most amazing ways. ("Mom, is our Earth in space, inside a big giant brain?")

Posted by lynx at September 30, 2005 9:59 PM

Comments

"Cause I don't have a four-year-old any more."

You only have about four and a half months and that will no longer be true, you know.

Posted by: Brian at October 1, 2005 1:59 AM

ARRRR! Happy Birthday, Matey! Hope Griffin gets lotsa loot.

(and good luck hoisting those sails AND swabbing that post-party deck!)

Natalie~who would've measured ...obsessively

Posted by: Natalie at October 1, 2005 2:14 AM

Happy Birthday, Griffin!!!!!

Isn't it hard when you look around and see your youngest ones getting so old? My youngest is about to turn 7 next month and it brings me to tears!

About the pirate ship: I am in awe of you. Any woman who would attempt to make a pirate ship birthday cake would have the skills to do the whole things artistically on her own, I would think. Wing it!! I'm sure it will come out BEAUTIFULLY!

Posted by: Jo at October 1, 2005 10:04 AM

Happy birthday Griffin!

Our middle son will be 5 in December. My youngest will be 2 in December. I'll be a sniffling mess in December. :}

Posted by: KathyJo at October 1, 2005 11:43 AM

Well, we're hackers. But we've attained some incredible new cake designs that way! It's all about the adventure, right?

HAPPY FIFTH BIRTHDAY, BIG BOY!!!

Dy

Posted by: Dy at October 1, 2005 11:47 PM

5!! wow. We are hackers and then we would have had to make it into a pirate ship that lost its battle and was slowly sinking....but that is just us ;-)

Posted by: elisabeth at October 2, 2005 9:24 PM

Ha! You most certainly CAN make a cake entirely out of frosting. Meanie... I can't believe you talked him out of it.

Posted by: angie at October 2, 2005 10:16 PM